UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:10 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES

For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you) eg. 1988 C900 - Will not start.

THIS FORUM IS NOT TO BE USED FOR PLACING ''FOR SALE'' OR ''WANTED'' ADVERTS, PLEASE USE THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR SUCH POSTS.

Post subject: V4 Sump plugs - oil leak
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:03 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
Last year I bought a sump plug from Bill with a copper washer. However, on changing the oil and fitting the new plug I developed a leak.

Despite owning the car for several years and doing a few oil changes, I cannot remember changing the washer and it had never leaked. The thing I noticed was the old one was a nylon washer and new is copper. I can only presume there is deformation of the sump around the plug area as I would never blame Bill for this. :P He might have heard otherwise had he been there! :roll:

The old washer is mangled so I just wanted to check I was on the right lines if I bought some of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-OHC-Nyl ... 3046587585

Unless anyone has any other suggestions for a suitable sump washer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 78 99T,99GL LPG
munchcorp wrote:
Last year I bought a sump plug from Bill with a copper washer. However, on changing the oil and fitting the new plug I developed a leak.

Despite owning the car for several years and doing a few oil changes, I cannot remember changing the washer and it had never leaked. The thing I noticed was the old one was a nylon washer and new is copper. I can only presume there is deformation of the sump around the plug area as I would never blame Bill for this. :P He might have heard otherwise had he been there! :roll:

The old washer is mangled so I just wanted to check I was on the right lines if I bought some of these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-OHC-Nyl ... 3046587585

Unless anyone has any other suggestions for a suitable sump washer.

Did you anneal the copper one before using it? I was always told to anneal them before first use or re-use and it seems to work!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:03 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
That could be worth a try. I haven't ever heard of doing that before fitting.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:47 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Annealing is a way of being cheap and not replacing with a new one. The copper may soften but they don't fatten up again. Obviously make sure the sump surface is square and flat. The same should be the case with the plug. If you don't have a sump plug with a magnet maybe the time to get one. The washer should be a sort of interference fit in that when you put it on it doesn't fall off again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:53 pm 

Car Models: 96 V4
Nylon? sump plug seals available from Burton Power
Work well for me

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:55 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-3 LPT 2002 & 9-5 2005
I use Dowty Washers in some applications. If Goggle is correct the V4 sump has the sump nut on the side and a picture looks like a Dowty Washer would work.