UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:45 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
THIS FORUM IS NOT TO BE USED FOR PLACING ''FOR SALE'' OR ''WANTED'' ADVERTS, PLEASE USE THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR SUCH POSTS.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 pm 

Car Model: '88 Saab 900 T16
Apologies in advance, there seem to be a lot of threads on this topic- but hope forum members can help me cut through the chaff.

My T16 has always made a bit of a tappet clatter when cold, and when warm the noise would diminish (but not entirely disappear). I am sure its not the timing chain.

The clatter it makes now is really very bad. It also doesn't seem to get any better. Admittedly, I haven't run it for a couple of months- but I'm nervous to let it run for too long in case something get damaged.

Can someone point me at the fix please? I'd so love to have it running quietly and smoothly!

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:36 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 99L,9000,9-5, Rovers & Imp
The hydraulic tappets fill them selves with oil as the engine runs and become quiet, when the car has been stood the oil does leak out and then you get the tapping noise.

As the internal seals break down the oil loss from the tappet becomes greater and the engine can get noisy after a short period of standing - short term take the car for a run and it hopefully will quieten down or longer term replace the tappet buckets.

1997 9000
2006 9-5 2.3
1957 P4 90
1968 Imp Super
1974 P6 3500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:39 am 

Car Model: '88 Saab 900 T16
Thanks John,

I think I probably need to replace the tappet buckets- the noise never goes away.

Is this a straightforward job? Is the part the same for all model years?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:59 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900T16s, Daihatsu Charade GTti
Mine was loud, but once warmed up the engine sounded great so may not be the same as yours but on 192,000 miles and needed an overhaul I took a punt and put in Wynn's hydraulic valve lifter treatment for a tenner with an oil change (oil change on it's own did help for a while) and it has actually worked, there is a hint every so often but it was well worth it, now it's got a noisy alternator belt, probably due to a worn pulley, typical eh lol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:06 am 

Car Model: 9000 x 2, 900 & 95 Estate
I drew up some sludge somewhere on my 270,000 engine when an intake pipe popped off - tappet noise was very loud- To clear this was advised to use flushing oil for about 20 miles - emptied then refilled with my normal oil and tappet noises completely eliminated. Quite amazed how much dirt the flushing oil got out - it was solid black on exit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:54 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero, 900 Ruby, + others
I have always used engine flushes prior to a service for the last 20 years.