UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Various
Time to find new tyres for my 96 bullnose, size on is 155 SR 15 (Viking Brand!). Running Cinturatos on my Sonett III currently but they are a bit pricey! Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:13 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
My Sonett has the Vredsteins from Vintage Tyre at Beaulieu. Not the cheapest admittedly, but they have good grip and seem fine over the last 2 years.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:14 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 8V-V4
Vredestein Classis Plus or whatever they're called these days are sh¡t in the wet.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:00 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Bullnose
I must say that the Vredestein Sprint Classic fitted to my Bullnose are simply superb in heavy rain or dry. I haven't had the vehicle out in snow though. The noise level seems very good but I'm a tad deaf :lol: I have covered around 20,000 miles on these tyres and the tread is still good. The side wall and profile of these tyres is very much in keeping with a classic car...almost crossply looking but with radial appeal and handling. I paid around £70 per tyre but I think that you could better this if you shopped around. If you take the plunge I don't think that you would regret it...nuf said from this old codger :park: (Oh by the way, the chap at Vintage Tyre at Beaulieu sometimes will do a deal if you buy more than one tyre...keep pressing him if you use them..plead poverty or in my case insanity).

See here for pattern type: https://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php ... 477p111220

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:45 am 
Active user

Car Model: 1961 96 two-stroke
Yes, Vredestein Sprint Classics are the way to go. I've been using them on my Bullnose for years. Absolutely fine in the wet, quiet running, period-appropriate looks.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:23 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 8V-V4
melle wrote:
Vredestein Classis Plus or whatever they're called these days are sh¡t in the wet.
johnsimister wrote:
Yes, Vredestein Sprint Classics are the way to go. [...] Absolutely fine in the wet

I just checked we're talking about the same tyres and indeed we are. Funny how our experiences differ; I used them on a V4 though, maybe the difference in nose weight plays a role? Or is it just expectations? Or a poor batch? In fact I found the Vredestein Sprint Classics so bad, I swapped them onto a car I was selling, only to get rid of them (new tyres may have helped sell the car as well!).

Vredestein Sprint Classic 155

Been running Vredestein Snow Plus 155, Firestone F560 155 and 165 (both NLA I think) and Hankook (forgot which type) 165 on my 95/96 V4s since, very happy with all under all circumstances.

Vredestein Snow Plus 155

Firestone F560 155

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:12 am 
Active user

Car Model: 1961 96 two-stroke
Yes, the Firestones were good – I had them on my car before the Vredesteins – but they don't seem to be available any more. The F-560 was a very popular tyre for classic cars a decade or so ago, and Firestone seems to be missing an opportunity now.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:05 pm 
UKS Addict

Has anyone used Toyo?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:22 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96TT/900S Cabrio/9-3SW Aero
Five new Vredesteins ordered from Vintage Tyres at Beaulieu for fitting to my 96 stroker on Monday. Not cheap but I negotiated discounts on them & fitting costs, also free entry to the Museum while we wait!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:16 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Bullnose
How are the new Vred's doing David?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:33 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: A mix of this and that
thesaabologist wrote:
Has anyone used Toyo?

Yes..I have Toyo 310 on my 96 and they are a good tyre..they do what you want but a bit modern if you want a classic look.
The Firestone F560 is available but the new ones are made in Portugal (iirc) and the compound is much harder than the originals...lost more road noise and they feel a bit hard.
I have Sprint Classics on the Volvo 245 and they seem to be a great tyre for that car.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:14 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96TT/900S Cabrio/9-3SW Aero
llovegrace wrote:
How are the new Vred's doing David?

Haven't driven it yet - it's still up on jacks as I've been welding in some new floor panel bits - a few more things to sort before it's back on the road..

PS: waiting for a large package to arrive from Sweden (SSK) with, amongst other useful spares, new front & rear screen rubbers, so it'll be a while before the next road test!!

Last edited by heli-saaber on Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:23 pm 
UKS Addict

john-saab wrote:
thesaabologist wrote:
Has anyone used Toyo?

Yes..I have Toyo 310 on my 96 and they are a good tyre..they do what you want but a bit modern if you want a classic look.
The Firestone F560 is available but the new ones are made in Portugal (iirc) and the compound is much harder than the originals...lost more road noise and they feel a bit hard.
I have Sprint Classics on the Volvo 245 and they seem to be a great tyre for that car.

Cheers - do you recommended any sellers?