UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2001 93 LPT
Hi guys, I’m getting a saab master technician to restore a red 3 door 1991 900 s for me. Currently it’s not in a running state. He is doing a complete restoration which includes completely striping the car down to its bear bones and replacing all the suspension parts, reconditioning the engine etc, swapping out the tan leather interior for a nice grey velour seats (I had leather, it’s so cold in the winter!) but the thing is he has about 70 scrap 900 in his yard and can basically mix and match interior bits, alloys you name it. Also he is welding any rust and respraying the car too. It’s either this a boring skoda or some other modern practical car haha..madness prevails!

But the thing is he has recommended i do a DI conversion and said he can easily change it from an LPT to an FPT. I’m not sure what to go for as I’m currently driving a 2001 93 lpt which i think is fine, however the offer of a FPT might be too good to pass up, i just don’t want a massive difference in MPG.

What do ye guys think? Should i leave it an original LPT, or upgrade it to an FPT? And what do ye think about upgrading to a DI with the trionic 5? I’m lost I’ve too many choices and need some opinions

Last edited by Jimjims89 on Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:17 pm 
Active user

Car Model: '91 900 S ,1984 900 GLE
Given the extent of the work you are having
done I would think going from LPT to HPT is a minor enough change and well worth considering. Another worthy consideration is getting the type 7 gearbox primaries. The LPT gearbox is great around town but not as good if you do much motorway mileage. I agree with the seat change the leather looks better but you can't beat the velour comfort.
Good look with the project ...I am very slowly restoring a 1983 900 myself.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:36 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 8V-V4
You're fast by my standards Paul!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:02 am 

Car Model: 900
Velour, warm in winter, cool in summer
You could go halfway, install intercooler, bin the cat and nice exhaust.
It would still essentially be an unmodified car

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96TT/900S Cabrio/9-3SW Aero
I agree with the comments re upgrading to FPT - my c900 seems to have had that fitted by a previous owner although there's no definitive paper trail in its comprehensive history file. It pulls like a train! I'd like to go for Type 7 primaries, too, as it is a bit low-geared for long distance cruising. It still managed mid-30s fuel consumption on a trip around France a while back; I always use good quality fuel - Shell if available. I have no experience of red box APC or other fuel control tweaks, so can't help you there; mine has the small intercooler which works fine. Good luck with the restoration - sounds pretty comprehensive. If your mate has another set of type 7 primaries I would be very interested in chatting with him!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:07 am 
Saab Nut

Is Dara doing the restoration for you?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:35 am 
Active user

melle wrote:
Is Dara doing the restoration for you?

He is yes! I’ve been bringing my cars to him for years now, he is excellent at what he does. Actually bought a ‘88 900 hpt years ago which i sold. I take it you know him then?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:46 am 
Active user

heli-saaber wrote:
I agree with the comments re upgrading to FPT - my c900 seems to have had that fitted by a previous owner although there's no definitive paper trail in its comprehensive history file. It pulls like a train! I'd like to go for Type 7 primaries, too, as it is a bit low-geared for long distance cruising. It still managed mid-30s fuel consumption on a trip around France a while back; I always use good quality fuel - Shell if available. I have no experience of red box APC or other fuel control tweaks, so can't help you there; mine has the small intercooler which works fine. Good luck with the restoration - sounds pretty comprehensive. If your mate has another set of type 7 primaries I would be very interested in chatting with him!

Thanks guys for the responses, i was under the impression that the 7 primaries would be in a 1991 900 s but maybe I’m wrong, would there be much of a drop in fuel economy going from an lpt to an fpt. I plan on this being my daily driver!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:11 pm 
Active user

Hi Jim
I'd say any drop in economy will be determined by how far down and how quickly you press your right foot. In general the 900's are
quite economic but they are no tdi in terms of MPG.
Yes we all know Dara and Jim they sure keep a lot of Saabs on the roads and
away from the crushers !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:16 pm 
Active user

Beta wrote:
Hi Jim
I'd say any drop in economy will be determined by how far down and how quickly you press your right foot. In general the 900's are
quite economic but they are no tdi in terms of MPG.
Yes we all know Dara and Jim they sure keep a lot of Saabs on the roads and
away from the crushers !

Very true! I think the economy on them is quite reasonable for what they are just wasn’t 100% if there was much of a difference between an LPT and HPT, i think full pressure is you’re only man so! Yeah both of them are bang on, I’d say a lot of saabs are on the road because of them. At least in Ireland anyway! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:49 pm 
Active user

melle wrote:
You're fast by my standards Paul!

Hi Melle
At least your projects are tucked away nice and dry !

Its the likes of Birdy Mango and Ian Lawson that just put us to shame.
I'm watching Ian's work on that 99 for inspiration my 900 is gone in the
same places just not as bad, it takes me about a month to get 1 patch
panel welded in!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:15 pm 
Saab Nut

Jimjims89 wrote:
Yeah both of them are bang on, I’d say a lot of saabs are on the road because of them. At least in Ireland anyway! :D
Yes, they keep Ireland Saabing for sure!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:18 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: At least one of each classic.
Thanks for the complimentary comments guys - very much appreciated!

Dara has rebuilt several gearboxes at this stage so I'll check the 'box in the car in question tomorrow and David (heli-saaber) I'll see if we have spare Type 7s once that's sorted (if required!), and I'll let you know. By the way I believe we have Type 8s somewhere!!

Thanks again, Jim.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:19 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900Ruby,vert, 9000, 99, Sonett
Remember when converting cars to FPT that the compression ratios are different. The FPT has a ratio of around 8½:1 whereas other models are something like 9½:1. The lower ratios are the result of deep dish pistons in FPT engines.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 pm 
Active user

Irish Carlsson wrote:
Thanks for the complimentary comments guys - very much appreciated!

Dara has rebuilt several gearboxes at this stage so I'll check the 'box in the car in question tomorrow and David (heli-saaber) I'll see if we have spare Type 7s once that's sorted (if required!), and I'll let you know. By the way I believe we have Type 8s somewhere!!

Thanks again, Jim.

Hi Jim! I had no idea you were on this forum! Goes to show how often i post here haha..Looking forward to travelling up soon to go through the car and pick you and dara’s brain :D talk soon, Jimmy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:24 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Ursa Minor wrote:
Remember when converting cars to FPT that the compression ratios are different. The FPT has a ratio of around 8½:1 whereas other models are something like 9½:1. The lower ratios are the result of deep dish pistons in FPT engines.

Classic 900 LPT (B202S) and FPT (B202L) both had same compression ratio, 9:1
Non turbo models were higher.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:19 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900T16s, Daihatsu Charade GTti
I'd definitely go for a T5 conversion, love to do it to mine, maybe one day..... Fuel consumption around town is pretty horrendous, heavy car with fairly inefficient engine compared to today's motors doesn't add up to a good combination but with better management like T5 would improve stuff no end.
Having said that on a motorway/dual carriage mpg is much better, I can see over 36mpg easy but less than 20mpg around town and that is a standard FPT