UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:51 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:49 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: C900T16s,9-3TTiD180,9000aero
The 2017 Saab Owners Club GB has now been booked, and with the 2016 event now underway we are pleased to announce the event will be at Hatton Country world, see website www.hattonworld.com
The location is perfect for those who fancy a tour of Stratford and surrounding areas, there is also adequate camping and tent areas, as for the onsite stuff, there is plenty for everyone, Local hotels are also close by, more details will follow as we build this great weekend for the end of July 2017

we look forward to seeing you there

elli

93ss TTiD Aero
9000 CSE Aero

Last edited by elli on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:51 am 
UKS Addict

Thankyou for the update Elli! See you soon in Wales! :-)

Home at last!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:58 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-3 2.3 Turbo SE vert
will you kindly stop arranging them for when i am on holiday :wall:

would love to attend, but, The Dragon would have my balls on a plate :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

MY03 9-3 Vert (The Dog)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:19 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 78 SAAB 96,/78 MGB/LHD Twingo
Though it's a long way away, I hope to make this.
The long haired one will probably come, and we'll make a weekend of it in Stratford.

Any possibility of the 2018 National being held a little further north?
Like North of Manchester,ie Yorkshire perhaps? (Good beer!)

A little more central for all of the UK!!!

The Troll.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:31 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 Aero 2.8T cabrio
It's a couple of hours from me via the boring M25 and M40 so may get this one OK'd by SWAMBO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:04 am 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Not well planned!! :(

If anyone is going to IntSaab 2017, they are on successive weekends.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:28 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

sgould wrote:
Not well planned!! :(

If anyone is going to IntSaab 2017, they are on successive weekends.

I am really not going to get into this so early in the planning stages, if people want to attend they will, if they can / want to do both events they will...

further updates will follow as the event weekend builds :D

elli

93ss TTiD Aero
9000 CSE Aero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:11 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
Ellie - It's not a bad shout to explain why it appears to have moved permanently from the traditional slot of 3rd weekend in July to the last weekend in July? Lots of people who go every year tend to mentally block out that weekend...although I accept that giving this much notice helps to avoid the issue.

96V4s

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:37 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Mmm, I can see a kernel of a plan developing here.

Down to the Stratford from Fife, for the National, 28-30 Jul.
Monday off to Harwich for a ferry to Hook of Holland (Avoid Dover - Calais like the plague!!).

Drink some good beer in Belgium for a few days, then go to the International in Dinkslaken for the 4th to 6th of August..

Nip into, and across France afterwards, visit, a couple of vineyards. Fill the car with wine, (Before Brexit, and the return of duty on imported booze from the Continent - bet the "vote Leave" folks didn't think about that downside of Brexit... :D ha ha ha).
Back on the Cherbourg - Portsmouth ferry.
Long haul back to Fife.

Job done!!

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saabs
Fliptop wrote:
Ellie - It's not a bad shout to explain why it appears to have moved permanently from the traditional slot of 3rd weekend in July to the last weekend in July? Lots of people who go every year tend to mentally block out that weekend...although I accept that giving this much notice helps to avoid the issue.

Hi Al, We've chosen this weekend as the schools in England and Wales (Scotland earlier) break up the Friday 21st . So the third weekend doesn't work for those with families wishing to come and make a long weekend of it.

That's also the reason we chose this years date at Pembrey :wink:

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:23 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Turbo xx
Mid point of the UK is Haltwhistle in Northumberland ...
All of the SOC's nationals are well south of this ,usually an 8 hour drive from Scotland.
:?

Mgtf
Nissan Terrano
mazda2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:11 am 
Put a SOC in it!

Redders wrote:
Fliptop wrote:

Hi Al, We've chosen this weekend as the schools in England and Wales (Scotland earlier) break up the Friday 21st . So the third weekend doesn't work for those with families wishing to come and make a long weekend of it.

That's also the reason we chose this years date at Pembrey :wink:

Chris

Hi Chris - OK, that makes sense, although as someone else pointed out it does mean that anyone wishing to make a big holiday out of the International (usually the first weekend in August) may struggle to do both easily. I guess with enough notice, it's surmountable for most.

To George's very fair point, we have had National events hosted in Scotland (eg Blair Atholl) in the past but not for many years...obviously this requires a bunch of people to volunteer to make it happen :wink:

We did some research on the geographic spread of members a few years ago during my time on the Board and, as you would expect, it was largely in line with the UK's population density. On "average" the vast majority of members were within 3 hours travel of the English Midlands.

There was a broad agreement reached at one point in the Club's history that the National event should stick to the region between the M62, M4, M5/M6 and A1 although it has ventured outside of that area a few times recently (Preston, Suffolk, Pembrey). Of those, the Pembrey event was (IMHO) the most successful mainly because Chris and his team picked somewhere that had family appeal.

Those of us who live north of the Home Counties/Midlands have always seemed to be more willing to travel a decent distance to events, but, maybe it is time to find a group of people willing to organise an event further North after 2017? From my experience of putting on big events, it is essential that there is someone local to liaise with the venue and to bring local knowledge to the planning. Without that, you are open to surprises, usually unpleasant.

96V4s

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:32 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Al

You are absolutely correct in saying that it's really the density spread of members, rather than the geographical centre of the UK, that should perhaps be taken into account.
Somewhere in the North of England, would get my vote. (ie north of Manchester).

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:13 pm 
UKS Addict

Fliptop wrote:
Hi Chris - OK, that makes sense, although as someone else pointed out it does mean that anyone wishing to make a big holiday out of the International (usually the first weekend in August) may struggle to do both easily. I guess with enough notice, it's surmountable for most.

To George's very fair point, we have had National events hosted in Scotland (eg Blair Atholl) in the past but not for many years...obviously this requires a bunch of people to volunteer to make it happen :wink:

We did some research on the geographic spread of members a few years ago during my time on the Board and, as you would expect, it was largely in line with the UK's population density. On "average" the vast majority of members were within 3 hours travel of the English Midlands.

There was a broad agreement reached at one point in the Club's history that the National event should stick to the region between the M62, M4, M5/M6 and A1 although it has ventured outside of that area a few times recently (Preston, Suffolk, Pembrey). Of those, the Pembrey event was (IMHO) the most successful mainly because Chris and his team picked somewhere that had family appeal.

Those of us who live north of the Home Counties/Midlands have always seemed to be more willing to travel a decent distance to events, but, maybe it is time to find a group of people willing to organise an event further North after 2017? From my experience of putting on big events, it is essential that there is someone local to liaise with the venue and to bring local knowledge to the planning. Without that, you are open to surprises, usually unpleasant.

I don't disagree with any of this Al, Obviously I can't comment on the past as I've only been involved and on the board for the last year. We knew Pembrey was a little out of the way but when I was asked back at the beginning of 2015 by the board to host a national in South Wales we chose this site as it was perfect for families.

As I've found out this year organising a National event is a huge amount of work, It took all my spare and most of my family time over the last couple of months leading up to it. It couldn't have been done it without such a committed and supportive local group.

I'm more than happy to listen to anyone who would like to organise a future national, but contact me by email or phone, PM me for these :wink:

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:29 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-3, 9000 Aero, 96 V4
The whole family looking forward to this :D Gives me a deadline to get the 96 back on the road also 8) My father is hoping to attend from Cornwall in his 9-3 vert which is a fair trek at 84, he goes right back to SOC Nationals when the camping fields were full of Two Strokes and there were fastest wheel changing competitions, reversing trailers and driving around between a course of cones with a bowl of water on the bonnet trying not to spill any. Great memories for me as a seven year old :D

I wonder if such fun events could be done again if we all signed Health and Safety disclaimers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:00 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Zagato wrote:
The whole family looking forward to this :D Gives me a deadline to get the 96 back on the road also 8) My father is hoping to attend from Cornwall in his 9-3 vert which is a fair trek at 84, he goes right back to SOC Nationals when the camping fields were full of Two Strokes and there were fastest wheel changing competitions, reversing trailers and driving around between a course of cones with a bowl of water on the bonnet trying not to spill any. Great memories for me as a seven year old :D

I wonder if such fun events could be done again if we all signed Health and Safety disclaimers!

I like your thinking, those are actually very good ideas, the space we have has an area ample to do a drive (carefully monitored of course :D ) i will make sure that our Chris Redders looks into this, :)

elli

93ss TTiD Aero
9000 CSE Aero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900Ruby,vert9000 x2, 99,Sonett
elli wrote:
Zagato wrote:

I like your thinking, those are actually very good ideas, the space we have has an area ample to do a drive (carefully monitored of course :D ) i will make sure that our Chris Redders looks into this, :)

elli

I can also remember a highway code quiz at one National... I think it was Builth Wells. (Late 1990s maybe?)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:35 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

elli[/quote]
I can also remember a highway code quiz at one National... I think it was Builth Wells. (Late 1990s maybe?)[/quote]

Mmm, Builth Wells was indeed some time ago, and the highway code has changed a fair bit in that time, (as i found out on my speed awareness course), i am sure this will be included in the quiz over the weekend ...Andy,... you better start swotting up :D

elli

93ss TTiD Aero
9000 CSE Aero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:00 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Last time I recall a "driving test" was at Stafford (or maybe Uttoxeter?) around 10 years ago. Very naughty at the time, it was timed... :twisted:
IIRC Ian Meakin won in his stroker. FB1 was way down...too big, and piloted by an amateur :bag:

96V4s

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:34 pm 
UKS Addict

Fliptop wrote:
Last time I recall a "driving test" was at Stafford (or maybe Uttoxeter?) around 10 years ago. Very naughty at the time, it was timed... :twisted:
IIRC Ian Meakin won in his stroker. FB1 was way down...too big, and piloted by an amateur :bag:

I have heard of this test from the man himself :wink: 8)