UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:03 pm

All times are UTC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:02 am 
Offline
Saab Nut

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 am
Posts: 1076
Car Model: 900 96 drop top
GeoffR wrote:
DEVON DOGG wrote:
They are all old now with faults The old ones are reliable the newer ones are poo .
If Saab were any good in the final years they would still be here now

If you don't like Saabs you don't have to drive one. The newer ones are as good as the older ones but, necessarily, more complex. My experience is that the later cars were more reliable than the 900 once you understand the weakness of the vacuum system. Since I drive a 2011 Saab I feel qualified to comment.


The 900 is a car where you dont have to work around the weakness of any parts even 20 years later :D

I love Saabs thats why I am on my forth one You people need to detach yourselves from your emotions that same way that I have . The few that were built with the 4x4 system are a nightmare compared to other 4x4s from the early 2010s I have seen first hand in a workshop here in Cullompton Devon what trouble they are . ( I was invited to view progress as I was arguing that they were good and I was proven wrong !)
The 4X4 system gave endless sensor related problems and the servo had suddenly failed and you people blame financial management !

If you were buying new in the 90s you were making a smart move if you brought a Saab If you were buying new in the final years then you were a big dumbass as there were far better cars on the market and this was proven by the company failing

Only on this site , Only Saab people would convince themselves that it was another reason ! When experts were saying the product was too expensive and became undesirable.

There are so few of the later ones around that they will be worth something one day but it will be based on how rare they have become


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:20 am 
Offline
China Charger

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 pm
Posts: 11699
Location: All over town.
Car Model: Mapped S60 D5
DEVON DOGG wrote:
The 900 is a car where you dont have to work around the weakness of any parts even 20 years later :D

I love Saabs thats why I am on my forth one You people need to detach yourselves from your emotions that same way that I have . The few that were built with the 4x4 system are a nightmare compared to other 4x4s from the early 2010s I have seen first hand in a workshop here in Cullompton Devon what trouble they are . ( I was invited to view progress as I was arguing that they were good and I was proven wrong !)
The 4X4 system gave endless sensor related problems and the servo had suddenly failed and you people blame financial management !

If you were buying new in the 90s you were making a smart move if you brought a Saab If you were buying new in the final years then you were a big dumbass as there were far better cars on the market and this was proven by the company failing

Only on this site , Only Saab people would convince themselves that it was another reason ! When experts were saying the product was too expensive and became undesirable.

There are so few of the later ones around that they will be worth something one day but it will be based on how rare they have become


Where to begin with this........

_________________
Gone
04 9-5 Aero S1
99 9-3 SE HOT S3
98 9K 2.3
92 9k CD 18T
99 9-3 19T
00 9-5 Aero S3
96 9K Aero S3


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:40 am 
Offline
Saab Nut
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 11:09 am
Posts: 1387
Location: Aberdeen
Car Model: MY99 9-3 SE HOT
filathome wrote:
DEVON DOGG wrote:
The 900 is a car where you dont have to work around the weakness of any parts even 20 years later :D

I love Saabs thats why I am on my forth one You people need to detach yourselves from your emotions that same way that I have . The few that were built with the 4x4 system are a nightmare compared to other 4x4s from the early 2010s I have seen first hand in a workshop here in Cullompton Devon what trouble they are . ( I was invited to view progress as I was arguing that they were good and I was proven wrong !)
The 4X4 system gave endless sensor related problems and the servo had suddenly failed and you people blame financial management !

If you were buying new in the 90s you were making a smart move if you brought a Saab If you were buying new in the final years then you were a big dumbass as there were far better cars on the market and this was proven by the company failing

Only on this site , Only Saab people would convince themselves that it was another reason ! When experts were saying the product was too expensive and became undesirable.

There are so few of the later ones around that they will be worth something one day but it will be based on how rare they have become


Where to begin with this........


Indeed

My OG 9-3 (same platform as the 900) is a horrible wobbly mess through corners...and that's with suspension modifications and bracing mods. Even with the 320+bhp on a twisty road I doubt it'd keep up with my 2008 TTID as it holds the road much better and corners a lot flatter.

Also nicer to have bluetooth and AUX input on the stereo built in without having to change the 20 year old stereo for a Halfords special


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:52 am 
Offline
UKS Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:44 pm
Posts: 12465
Location: Bristol
Car Model: '99 9-3 ex-LPT '55 Diesel SW
benmorgan100 wrote:
I now wish to exercise my statutory rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to return the car - The Act states the car must be “of a satisfactory quality”, “fit for purpose” and “as described”. (For a used car, “satisfactory quality” takes into account the car’s age and mileage.)
You have a right to reject something faulty and you are entitled to a full refund within 30 days of purchase



Do it then. Have you requested this in writing within the required timetable? If they don't concede then get on to trading standards.

_________________
UKSaabs Fantasy Formula 1 Freak
Federation of Master Bodgers Accredited
T5 Tuner


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:27 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 33
Car Model: 9-3 OG Anniversary
..... Done it!!!

For anyone interested, I got some legal advice and I am within my rights to requests a refund, even if the dealer is offering a repair. As the brake issue alone puts the car firmly into the unroadworthy and therefore "not fit for purpose" category and I have owned it for less than 30 days I am eligible for a full refund. If I had owned the car for longer than 30 days I would still be eligible for a full refund but only if the offer of repair presents considerable inconvenience.

Hagstrom have received my written letter via email and will receive the tracked, traced and guaranteed postal letter tomorrow. They have 14 days to rectify the situation as per my request, they have no legal option to offer an alternate solution.

Will let you all know how it goes!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 pm 
Offline
UKS Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:44 pm
Posts: 12465
Location: Bristol
Car Model: '99 9-3 ex-LPT '55 Diesel SW
You going to get the RAC (or whoever) to recover it to them?

_________________
UKSaabs Fantasy Formula 1 Freak
Federation of Master Bodgers Accredited
T5 Tuner


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:50 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 am
Posts: 1076
Car Model: 900 96 drop top
Steve 9000 wrote:
filathome wrote:
DEVON DOGG wrote:
The 900 is a car where you dont have to work around the weakness of any parts even 20 years later :D

I love Saabs thats why I am on my forth one You people need to detach yourselves from your emotions that same way that I have . The few that were built with the 4x4 system are a nightmare compared to other 4x4s from the early 2010s I have seen first hand in a workshop here in Cullompton Devon what trouble they are . ( I was invited to view progress as I was arguing that they were good and I was proven wrong !)
The 4X4 system gave endless sensor related problems and the servo had suddenly failed and you people blame financial management !

If you were buying new in the 90s you were making a smart move if you brought a Saab If you were buying new in the final years then you were a big dumbass as there were far better cars on the market and this was proven by the company failing

Only on this site , Only Saab people would convince themselves that it was another reason ! When experts were saying the product was too expensive and became undesirable.

There are so few of the later ones around that they will be worth something one day but it will be based on how rare they have become


Where to begin with this........


Indeed

My OG 9-3 (same platform as the 900) is a horrible wobbly mess through corners...and that's with suspension modifications and bracing mods. Even with the 320+bhp on a twisty road I doubt it'd keep up with my 2008 TTID as it holds the road much better and corners a lot flatter.

Also nicer to have bluetooth and AUX input on the stereo built in without having to change the 20 year old stereo for a Halfords special


Yes mine has a nice sounds and bluetooth I wont compromise on that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:54 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 33
Car Model: 9-3 OG Anniversary
will see how they resolve it 1st.... if/when they work out my that I hold the legal cards I'll see if they will come collect it!

Such a shame because if they'd been more amenable when I 1st contacted them I'd have been more likely to go for the repair


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:04 pm 
Offline
Light Pressure Turbo

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:22 am
Posts: 561
Location: Forest of Dean
Car Model: OG 9-3 SE
Steve 9000 wrote:
filathome wrote:
DEVON DOGG wrote:
The 900 is a car where you dont have to work around the weakness of any parts even 20 years later :D

I love Saabs thats why I am on my forth one You people need to detach yourselves from your emotions that same way that I have . The few that were built with the 4x4 system are a nightmare compared to other 4x4s from the early 2010s I have seen first hand in a workshop here in Cullompton Devon what trouble they are . ( I was invited to view progress as I was arguing that they were good and I was proven wrong !)
The 4X4 system gave endless sensor related problems and the servo had suddenly failed and you people blame financial management !

If you were buying new in the 90s you were making a smart move if you brought a Saab If you were buying new in the final years then you were a big dumbass as there were far better cars on the market and this was proven by the company failing

Only on this site , Only Saab people would convince themselves that it was another reason ! When experts were saying the product was too expensive and became undesirable.

There are so few of the later ones around that they will be worth something one day but it will be based on how rare they have become


Where to begin with this........


Indeed

My OG 9-3 (same platform as the 900) is a horrible wobbly mess through corners...and that's with suspension modifications and bracing mods. Even with the 320+bhp on a twisty road I doubt it'd keep up with my 2008 TTID as it holds the road much better and corners a lot flatter.

Also nicer to have bluetooth and AUX input on the stereo built in without having to change the 20 year old stereo for a Halfords special


Having owned both incarnations of the 9-3 I would say that the OG's lousy handling is certainly improved in the SS but the SS's ride quality is as poor as the OG's handling. Both are shockingly bad.
Still love them though

_________________
2001 OG 9-3 lpt Hatch


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:03 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 pm
Posts: 3593
Location: South Oxfordshire
Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
In reference to the side debate of overall quality of later Saabs, they most certainly are up there with the competition. The problem they faced wasn't that they were not good but rather that they were not the fashionable German premium makes but still had premium price tags. Volvos now are mega expensive but in 2003 - 2008 or so they were not as much as their BMW OR or Merc equivalents.

I have driven plenty of cars of similar ages to my OG9-3 and my 9-3ss (and previously my 9000). The Saabs are no worse and in that "Je ne sais quoi" type way often better. VW, for example, are certainly not as good as the VW crowd will have you believe. I really hate my wife's (no secret) and her Grandfather's 2011 Golf 1.6TSI was uncomfortable, soulless, nagging (bong bong, change up, change up) and crashy. That Golf came available in 2014 and I could have had it but I got my first Saab, a 1996 9000 instead.

As for the OP, well done! Update us with the response. :)

_________________
9-3ss SOC Registrar @BHOSaab

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:20 pm
Posts: 3029
Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
The irony for me is that although ingenuinely do not believe contemporary modern Saabs were on par with their competitors, they make better used buys, generally being simpler and generally having been looked after much better by more sympathetic owners!! So, we win!!!

_________________
Buy the ticket take the ride...

Peace, Gbn x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:27 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:32 pm
Posts: 2957
Location: Kent
Car Model: og aero, Viggen
I enquired about a 5 door viggen that Hagerstorm were selling and asked them if the bulkhead had been repaired as they crack and fail, I was told that saab had no problem with bulkheads cracking on this model and it was only the earlier GM 900 that had this problem but it was sorted for the 1999 to 2002 93, I said to the person I spoke to you are either lying or very miss informed either one is shocking and leak poor for a so called saab specialist , I leave you all to make your own minds up

Phil


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:44 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 33
Car Model: 9-3 OG Anniversary
hi Phil,

yep that pretty much sums up Hagstrom - I'm starting to think they are nothing more than an elaborate scrapyard! EVERYONE who knows about Saabs knows about the bulkhead problem. Obviously Hagstrom Saab just tell people what they want to hear in order to make a sale.... and then are very difficult if something goes wrong!

They lied to me too.... Ash tried to tell me that I went there ONLY looking for a Saab 9-3 OG and that's why he recommended the one I bought.... the cheek of it! I know that when I was there I also looked at one of their 9-3 saloons and a couple of convertibles so he is clearly full of BS!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:45 pm 
Offline
UKS Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 9:46 pm
Posts: 14539
Location: Mulbarton,Norfolk
Car Model: TTid's only now :-(
benmorgan100 wrote:
hi Phil,

yep that pretty much sums up Hagstrom - I'm starting to think they are nothing more than an elaborate scrapyard! EVERYONE who knows about Saabs knows about the bulkhead problem. Obviously Hagstrom Saab just tell people what they want to hear in order to make a sale.... and then are very difficult if something goes wrong!

They lied to me too.... Ash tried to tell me that I went there ONLY looking for a Saab 9-3 OG and that's why he recommended the one I bought.... the cheek of it! I know that when I was there I also looked at one of their 9-3 saloons and a couple of convertibles so he is clearly full of BS!



They bought in my old written off 08 9-3ss Aero fromm Co-Parts auctions this summer, just 2 weeks are the lorry collected it.

That was sold on with an new wing I believe within days of arriving.

_________________
What we need are more people who specialise in the impossible


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:15 am 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:59 pm
Posts: 33
Car Model: 9-3 OG Anniversary
....For crying out loud - Just found out there is no locking wheel nut tool so I can't even remove the wheel with the now totally flat punctured tyre!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:24 am 
Offline
UKS Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:44 pm
Posts: 12465
Location: Bristol
Car Model: '99 9-3 ex-LPT '55 Diesel SW
Just get it recovered back to Hagstrom by a breakdown service immediately (either one you're already a member of, or join one for the purpose - you are allowed to do that I think).

You should neither be using nor interfering with the car in any way if you intend to reject it. Plus you're not asking Hagstrom if you can reject and return the car, you're telling them that you are. So don't wait for a reply, get on with it- every day you delay and every action you take after the rejection deadline undermines your position.

_________________
UKSaabs Fantasy Formula 1 Freak
Federation of Master Bodgers Accredited
T5 Tuner


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:43 am 
Offline
9000 Burble
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:01 pm
Posts: 13696
Location: The far East
Car Model: Back in a 9000 #4!
Hate to say this, but I have never heard anything positive about Hagstrom. I have a close mate of mine who did some work for him for a while and some of things I heard from him, I am amazed that he is still in business. Avoid at all costs.

_________________
......Gotta love a 9K..........

We can't go far on enthusiasm, but we don't go far without it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am 
Offline
Saab Nut

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 am
Posts: 1076
Car Model: 900 96 drop top
brooklands wrote:
Hate to say this, but I have never heard anything positive about Hagstrom. I have a close mate of mine who did some work for him for a while and some of things I heard from him, I am amazed that he is still in business. Avoid at all costs.


I expect they are still in business because the news that gets out is only ever from they when have completely screwed up .

When people do really well nobody hears about it and I would like to guess that this is the case here
It is well documented about the things that have gone wrong but I would like to bet they have 1000s of delighted customers


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:35 am 
Offline
9000 Burble
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:01 pm
Posts: 13696
Location: The far East
Car Model: Back in a 9000 #4!
DEVON DOGG wrote:
brooklands wrote:
Hate to say this, but I have never heard anything positive about Hagstrom. I have a close mate of mine who did some work for him for a while and some of things I heard from him, I am amazed that he is still in business. Avoid at all costs.


I would like to guess that this is the case here
It is well documented about the things that have gone wrong but I would like to bet they have 1000s of delighted customers


It really isn't, sadly

_________________
......Gotta love a 9K..........

We can't go far on enthusiasm, but we don't go far without it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 pm
Posts: 3593
Location: South Oxfordshire
Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
brooklands wrote:
DEVON DOGG wrote:
brooklands wrote:
Hate to say this, but I have never heard anything positive about Hagstrom. I have a close mate of mine who did some work for him for a while and some of things I heard from him, I am amazed that he is still in business. Avoid at all costs.


I would like to guess that this is the case here
It is well documented about the things that have gone wrong but I would like to bet they have 1000s of delighted customers


It really isn't, sadly
Is it more of a case of people believing Facebook hype and dismissing negative comments as probably just being from the vocal dissatisfied few?

Would be good to build up a true accurate opinion of each Saab specialist. There are so many stories that fly about regarding all of them that it seems at times like there isn't anyone to trust!

Except Bill at Saabits, Tommy at TR Autos and Martin at JamSaab of course. I never hear anything bad about them.

_________________
9-3ss SOC Registrar @BHOSaab

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Toe and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB