UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:26 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:18 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Linear Sport Estate Auto
CitTone wrote:
Blimey - when did Hankook become "premium"?

When they started sponsoring Real Madrid, UEFA and other football clubs. They have to raise the sponsorship money somehow and if your footballing hero has ‘Hankook’ across his shirt they must be really good and help you drive like a god!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: og aero, Viggen
I found Avon to be a good mid range tyre , had zz3 then there replacement zz5 and ive been happy with both

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:53 pm 
keithyboy wrote:
It's always an interesting question. My personal preference is to go with whatever fits my budget that offers the best wet weather grip. For the Saab there is loads of choice. It gets more complicated for my wife's CRV which has 205/70x15 tyres. Tyres of this size are mostly limited to 4x4 tyres with leak poor grip in the wet, and van tyres that are made of plastic and last forever.

From the factory they came with Bridgestone Duellers which are on the premium list. I find them utterly useless in the wet, it understeers like a bar steward and easily spins the inside wheel in corners. It now has Runways on it which are budgets but, despite having the same wet weather grip rating as the Bridgestones, make the car feel infinitely more secure. They are also much quieter.

My dad had general grabber ATs on his first gen Rav4 and he was impressed with them in all conditions (and it ran similar tyre sizes)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:59 pm 
I found that cheap tyres wear badly...I used to get 8K out of chinese cheapies, good grip but that was because the compound was daft soft...yokohama Bluearth AE50s lasted 3 odd years between the front and back of the Saab (and it had a tuning box upping the torque) and about 40K miles total out of them (need to replace them as they are close to the wear bars now and seeing cracks between the treads starting.

However my brother's Astra J he bought nearly new, came with Jinyus on the rear, grip seemed fine for a family car and seemed to have no issues with wear, Chinese are catching up quickly, every iteration gets that much better than the last...soon they will exceed the Koreans and after that they will be on the heels of Michelin etc....

Kwikfits CP611 Tyres are a real mixed bag, they were on the back of the vectra I had and they were fine, they are on the back of the wife's yaris and I can feel the back end trying to wander out heading for oversteer (and thats a 1.0 69bhp commuter box so not going madly fast either...)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:25 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activ
Will keep a note of the results of this. The Xantia will be needing new rubber in the not too distant future, and it works the tyres pretty hard... especially given I tend to drive it pretty enthusiastically.

Will probably wind up on whatever the current generation of the UniRoyal Rainexpert range are though, that's been my default tyre of choice for years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: E2 & The Old Tart
bpetersb wrote:
CitTone wrote:
Blimey - when did Hankook become "premium"?

When they started sponsoring Real Madrid, UEFA and other football clubs. They have to raise the sponsorship money somehow and if your footballing hero has ‘Hankook’ across his shirt they must be really good and help you drive like a god!

As if I didn't have enough reasons to dislike football already!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:58 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: XC70 & S60 D5 163s, both
Zelandeth wrote:
Will keep a note of the results of this. The Xantia will be needing new rubber in the not too distant future, and it works the tyres pretty hard... especially given I tend to drive it pretty enthusiastically.

Will probably wind up on whatever the current generation of the UniRoyal Rainexpert range are though, that's been my default tyre of choice for years.

That would (still) be the Rainexpert :)

Woah, hold on, Ezzard's back!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:44 pm 
Zelandeth wrote:

Yoko BluEarth AE50 might worth a look
Primacy 4s also perhaps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:57 pm 
Saab Nut

It's on 205/60 R15s, which not all makers offered when I last looked.

Can never remember which number the UniRoyal Rainexpert are up to...the original incarnation was still current when I last bought them new!

Seems to be a car there's a lot of debate over the best tyre for, not surprising really given the forces it puts on the sidewalls during cornering...as I recall Michelin were involved in the original project to create a new tyre that was reinforced to handle the forces involved.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:58 pm 
Zelandeth wrote:
It's on 205/60 R15s, which not all makers offered when I last looked.

Can never remember which number the UniRoyal Rainexpert are up to...the original incarnation was still current when I last bought them new!

Seems to be a car there's a lot of debate over the best tyre for, not surprising really given the forces it puts on the sidewalls during cornering...as I recall Michelin were involved in the original project to create a new tyre that was reinforced to handle the forces involved.

205/55/15 offers a wider range of tyres (as it was an OEM size for VAG amongst others) on Camskill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:41 pm 
Saab Nut

I'll deal with a limited selection. I'm utterly disinterested in lowering the profile at all. One of the best features of this car is the way it floats over imperfections in the road, and the tyres are part of that equation.

Some very, very, very clever people seemed involved in setting up the system on the car and if they chose 205/60 as the profile for the tyres, I trust that they did the math and chose that because it's what worked best, that's what I'll be sticking with.

The fact that there are still so few things which can change direction as rapidly as this shows how well they did their homework back in the early 90s... especially as that ability didn't come at the cost of comfort.