UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Council Gestapo ?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:18 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
A chap who I work with was recently handed a fixed penalty fine (£75) by a local council warden for flicking his cigarette ash on the path he was walking on. Note, this is cigarette ash, completely bio-degradeable and pretty much invisible after it reached the ground.

What is this country coming to ?? I think a clear definition of what constitutes litter is called for here, I noted that a lady is facing a fine of £2500 for not paying the fixed penalty for a similar offence !!

Bonkers if you ask me, what do you think ???

'01' 9-5 2.0L LPT
'97' Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:24 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Technically its still littering.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:27 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
9000Parts wrote:

Actually I don't think it is, I did manage to find a definition written somewhere that stated that the dropping or throwing of 'whatever' had to cause defacement, either temporary or permanent, so I would challenge that on that basis. Technically or not, its ridiculous in my view.

And here is an extract from Haringay council FAQ's, "I can’t put my cigarette end in the bin as there is a danger it will catch fire"

Council response - "Smokers are responsible for ensuring that they completely extinguish their cigarettes before placing them in the bin. Most bins have stubbing plates provided." ....... and in doing so will definitely drop some (hot) ash in the process !!

'01' 9-5 2.0L LPT
'97' Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:19 pm 
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy

Car Model: 96, C900, 9k, 9-3 & 9-5
Limited sympathy as he was smoking in a public place*. Does seem draconian though.

*which I know is not illegal, but should be.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:24 pm 
Talking Turkey

masonmjs wrote:
9000Parts wrote:

Actually I don't think it is, I did manage to find a definition written somewhere that stated that the dropping or throwing of 'whatever' had to cause defacement, either temporary or permanent, so I would challenge that on that basis. Technically or not, its ridiculous in my view.

And here is an extract from Haringay council FAQ's, "I can’t put my cigarette end in the bin as there is a danger it will catch fire"

Council response - "Smokers are responsible for ensuring that they completely extinguish their cigarettes before placing them in the bin. Most bins have stubbing plates provided." ....... and in doing so will definitely drop some (hot) ash in the process !!

Bit tricky trying to define what is and isnt something as it always leads to edge cases. The easiest way to define something is make it black and white. In the case of litter, anything that is dropped or thrown and that wouldnt normally be expected to be in the place the object landed is litter.

If you start saying but this should be excluded, that doesnt count then how and where do you draw the line?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:30 pm 
Shotgun

Car Model: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
9000Parts wrote:
In the case of litter, anything that is dropped or thrown and that wouldnt normally be expected to be in the place the object landed is litter.

On this account, if you were to cough, or sneeze, and a bit of phlegm exits your mouth and lands on the ground, you should be fined £75 for littering (as, by definition, your phlegm wouldn't normally be expected be there?), agreed?

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:36 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
9000Parts wrote:
If you start saying but this should be excluded, that doesnt count then how and where do you draw the line?

By that logic hedge & grass clippings, fireworks, oil & coolant leaks, gravel picked up in your tyres from a driveway, plus just about everything else would also need to be included.

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:09 pm 
Talking Turkey

Shalien wrote:
9000Parts wrote:
In the case of litter, anything that is dropped or thrown and that wouldnt normally be expected to be in the place the object landed is litter.

On this account, if you were to cough, or sneeze, and a bit of phlegm exits your mouth and lands on the ground, you should be fined £75 for littering (as, by definition, your phlegm wouldn't normally be expected be there?), agreed?

Are you going to pick it up for evidence? This still exposes the problem of defining what is and isnt acceptable. If you sneezed and that inadvertant bit of phlegm landed on a person there is grounds for an assault charge even though its not intentional.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:09 pm 
Fireworks definitely, I'd have them banned for causing needless suffering to everything from wildlife, domestic pets, livestock to veterans with PTSD

Put it this way you need training and regular licencing to own any firearm near enough in this country, yet anyone over 18 can buy as many pyrotechnic explosive devices as they want and make any animals' lives an utter misery for days and weeks on end, fill the hospitals every halloween, 5th november, new years (and more as the years go by) with serious burns and worse.

Wonder how much the fireworks industry "donates" to political parties?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:47 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: '06 9-3 Aero convertible.
The public are far, far too compliant when it comes to the likes of council 'wardens' handing out fines based on their own interpretation of legislation. How would they be able to issue anything enforceable to someone who declines to provide a name and address? I'd tell them to jog on.

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:57 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
If it discourages people from smoking in public and spreading their stench around, I'm all for it. The smell of cigarettes, AND many of the sweet, sickly vapes can be nauseating.

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:15 pm 
UKS Veteran

Car Model: '99 9-3 ex-LPT '55 Diesel SW
masonmjs wrote:
A chap who I work with was recently handed a fixed penalty fine (£75) by a local council warden for flicking his cigarette ash on the path he was walking on. Note, this is cigarette ash, completely bio-degradeable and pretty much invisible after it reached the ground.

What is this country coming to ?? I think a clear definition of what constitutes litter is called for here, I noted that a lady is facing a fine of £2500 for not paying the fixed penalty for a similar offence !!

Ciggy butt, fair enough. Ash, is off the scale ridiculous. It blows away to nothing instantly (and is a lot less dirty than having dog leak all over my car tyres and lamp post/wall, or next doors recycling blowing all over my drive).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:17 pm 
UKS Veteran

gbn wrote:
If it discourages people from smoking in public and spreading their stench around, I'm all for it. The smell of cigarettes, AND many of the sweet, sickly vapes can be nauseating.

Maybe that is how pedestrians and cyclists feel about your (and my) exhaust fumes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero HOT Edition 2008
milleplod wrote:
The public are far, far too compliant when it comes to the likes of council 'wardens' handing out fines based on their own interpretation of legislation. How would they be able to issue anything enforceable to someone who declines to provide a name and address? I'd tell them to jog on.

Pete

Same here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:31 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero HOT Edition 2008
masonmjs wrote:

I hope he doesn't pay it and contests it. Never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:09 pm 
Steve 1550 wrote:
masonmjs wrote:

I hope he doesn't pay it and contests it. Never heard anything so ridiculous in my life.

He'd either win or have the book chucked at him, remember councils are lawyered up (funded by US)
You think thats bad, you should try being a council tenant...break wind the wrong direction and they send some gestapo wannabe around to read the riot act, then again, the last time they tried something I went above their heads....miles above and had a fascinating conversation with someone about 3 rungs up the ladder, who agreed it was ridiculous that they were bothering me on such a trifling matter AND without any evidence bar someone whinging to them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:11 pm 
gbn wrote:

Wife is allergic to propylene glycol fumes which vapes produce in plumes...causes her airways to swell shut.
PHE conveniently forgot that it can be a serious lung irritant when they went gung ho for allowing them everywhere, shows methinks some PHB in PHE is a vaper, got a "free" day out from a vaping industry group and some glossy literature or possibly a backhander from the vaping lobby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:36 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
Jules_ht wrote:
gbn wrote:

Maybe that is how pedestrians and cyclists feel about your (and my) exhaust fumes.

Agree fully, would have no problem with cars being banned from city centres. I cycle most days (in the summer anyhow, big Jessie!!)I have nothing against smokers, I just think it is a habit that should be practiced in one's own property and not in public. I come home stinking of smoke every weekend due to other people's smoke, not nice

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: OG 9-3 SE
Clever way of turning things in similar circumstances.
We don't see whether the guy deliberately or unknowingly dropped the item but his reaction was great

https://youtu.be/n_izHa8xEwQ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:18 am 
UKS Veteran

Doesn't look like he got away with it though!