UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:41 pm 
Shotgun

Car Model: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
My daughter has paid for an album via google play(?) on her phone, but wants to copy it to another device (laptop). Where can you find these downloaded tracks/albums when connected to a windows pc to copy to another connected device, or the PC?

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:00 pm 
UKS Addict

You need to log onto Google Play Music using the laptop using the account that purchased the album and then you'll have the option to download. Although they are on the phone, the filenames are pretty cryptic and you'll never find it.

Go to the home page of Google Play Music (mine has the title 'Recently played or added') and you should see the album cover. Hover the mouse over the top right corner of the album cover and a menu will appear, third from bottom is the download option - I think it will download the album as a .zip file that will need unpacking. Alternatively, provided the laptop is connected to the internet, she'll be able to play it straight from there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:14 pm 
Shotgun

That's the trick!!

Very much appreciated Andrew :wink:

I know what you mean about cryptic. I couldn't find it anywhere on her phone :loco:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:20 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2005, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3
I need to do this too but Google play music is £10 a month, is there no free app for it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 pm 
Shotgun

Apparently, you can download an album at a one off cost without subscribing to a monthly membership.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:42 am 
Active user

Car Model: 2007 93 TiD Sportwagon 120
Shalien wrote:
Apparently, you can download an album at a one off cost without subscribing to a monthly membership.
You can also back up your current music library on your computer to Google Play Music without a paid subscription, too. This then enables you to stream your entire library when you're out and about via the Play Music app, or you can download individual albums to your phone for playback without a data connection. Very handy, and it also means my Sonos system can access my library without my computer needing to be switched on - great for the more obscure stuff you just can't find on normal streaming services.

As far as im aware, the only paid side of Play Music is the Spotify style streaming i.e. streaming music you don't already own.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:44 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: E2 & The Old Tart
spikypaddy wrote:
You can also back up your current music library on your computer to Google Play Music without a paid subscription, too. This then enables you to stream your entire library when you're out and about via the Play Music app, or you can download individual albums to your phone for playback without a data connection. Very handy, and it also means my Sonos system can access my library without my computer needing to be switched on ...

Which means that you are caning your data allowance on your mobile or your broadband download limit.
They've got you every which way.

Surely with the Sonos you can access a library on a NAS drive connected to your router, so your computer isn't involved?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:14 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
CitTone wrote:
... Surely with the Sonos you can access a library on a NAS drive connected to your router, so your computer isn't involved?
you can indeed, that's how I access my music from the sonos speakers. Works great :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: E2 & The Old Tart
Thought so.

From the OP's point of view, not really the solution though!

Is Google trying to fence people in like Apple has?
You can buy the music but you can't "have" the music?

I'm still a "buy CD/rip/store" person - at least you have recognisable files in a readily-accessible form that way, and a double back-up if it all goes pear-shaped.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:59 am 
UKS Addict

If you want to pay the monthly subscription then you get access to the whole Google Play Music library in a similar way to Spotify (although unlike Spotify there is no free, advert supported tier). If like me you have an extensive library of physical media ripped to digital then you can backup to Google for free (I think there is a 20,000 track limit) and then you can access your library using the apps on phones/tablets/Chromecast or the web interface provided you have internet. You can also synchronise some or all of your library to your phone including an SD card so you can listen without consuming data.

Pretty sure there is no restrictions on downloading the purchased albums, they are standard MP3s with no copy protection that you can move to any device you wish. There is an option that lets you download your entire library in one go but I think that is restricted in number of goes, probably to stop people mass sharing their library.

I too prefer the physical nature of CDs and tend to buy CDs then rip and upload but for the odd track or album I might buy through Google but with my musical tastes, I tend to find pre-owned CDs bought through Amazon Marketplace cheaper than digital downloads (plus I get a CD I can load into the changers in the two Saabs).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:05 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
I seem to remember with google music you can burn a copy to CD. I'll have to check, though ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:12 pm 
Shotgun

For avoidance of doubt, once logged into the account, I was able to download the album, with no cryptic file names in a format that will work and be referenced by any normal MP3 device/client player.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:38 pm 
Shotgun

We're back here again, but now I can't seem to find an option to download? She's downloaded it to the phone (apparently?), so where is it stored? I assume it's all cryptic filenames now, as I've searched the phone sub system files, and can't find anything recognisable, and a google search just points to the SD card, which she doesn't have? :wall:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:15 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
You are only allowed to download an album twice. After that its copying from device to device, or using data to stream it.

You can still download it by downloading the whole library though.

As to where its gone, if its been downloaded to an sd card that has since been removed it may be causing a problem not having the sd card. Play music is looming for an sd card with all the music saved to it, but it isnt there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:00 pm 
Shotgun

beardydave wrote:
You are only allowed to download an album twice. After that its copying from device to device, or using data to stream it.

You can still download it by downloading the whole library though.

As to where its gone, if its been downloaded to an sd card that has since been removed it may be causing a problem not having the sd card. Play music is looming for an sd card with all the music saved to it, but it isnt there.

So do I have to download it to her original phone (recently changed phones), rather than another device with the same login?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:13 am 
UKS Addict

If the new phone has the same google account then you should be able to listen to it without downloading providing you have an internet connection.

The download option is only really intended to let you put it on a desktop or laptop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:36 pm 
Shotgun

That's the thing Dave, she does want to transfer it to her laptop for when she has no Wifi connection on her phone etc.?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:42 am 
UKS Addict

Need to log onto Google Play via a web browser and press download on the album.

If the option is not there then its possibly been downloaded twice already. If so you need to find out where and copy it from there to the laptop.