UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 10:30 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:54 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5
I run a W10 workstation that ideally needs to be always on so that I can remotely access files whenever I need to.

Everything has been fine since I installed W10 at the beginning of the year but since Wednesday night it has started rebooting itself after installing updates during the night. Previously it would just tell me that I needed to reboot and I could choose when to do it.

The update installed on Wednesday was KB4540673 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64 based systems.

The option to restart device as soon as possible after an update is 'OFF'. Show a notification when a restart is required is 'ON'

Is there any way to prevent the automatic reboots?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:17 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-3 1.9tiD Vector S Anniversry
Can you delete the latest install or load the latest backup point?
Google the update there may be others with the same problem.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:52 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
Which version of W10 are you on?

I seem to remember that only the professional version could have the updates delayed for more than 24hrs, and that for your own safety it would make sure you always had the latest update whether you actually wanted it or not.

There is a work-around to stop it from installing updates automatically, where you tell it that the network connection it is on is a "metered connection". Then it will pause the downloading until you tell it to. So that you don't get charged by the MB for the latest update to Paint3D.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:59 pm 
Saab Nut

It is version 1909 Build 18363.720

I don't want to not install updates, I just want to have control over when it reboots. I often get called out with no time to spare and have lots of windows and applications open, if I don't get back and it reboots overnight its a right pain getting back to where I was with everything.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:05 pm 

Car Model: 2003 9-5 Aero estate
Have a look at https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prev ... ng-updates
Looks to be what your looking for, personally I haven't tested it :-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:39 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Estates, 9000 Aero
That's a useful link.

Having just spent a bit of time with a fresh Win10 Pro install I saw some differences between the current version and earlier ones. Having gone through the death to Cortana and as much of the telemetry / Bing stuff as possible I discovered that the old metered connection trick has a downside. Yes it will stop downloads of updates, but it also stops LAN browsing connectivity.

The Win 10 is only there for the sake of it and potentially as a rescue type environment. The machine is dual boot so work will be done on the Win 7 side.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:59 pm 
Saab Nut

Knig wrote:
Have a look at https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prev ... ng-updates
Looks to be what your looking for, personally I haven't tested it :-)

Thanks, I have seen that but even as administrator I get a permissions warning and can't change anything.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:08 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

I which case, and assuming you aren't running an encrypted drive, get yourself an OS on a stick (linux or Win 10 PE environments are available) and do the file deletion outside of Windows.

eg https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

One word of advice, when you create the USB stick, make sure the boot method is the same as for win 10 (MBR / UEFI). Saves messing about going into the bios multiple times and if you try repairing a UEFI installation with and MBR USB you may well recover the Win 10 environment, but you will likely lose the inbuilt recovery options. No need to ask how I know. "Secure boot" will need to be off in BIOS to boot from USB with USB having higher priority than HDD/SSD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 SE
I know a good few people who would tell you to just have done with it and switch to Linux.

Where I work, we held on to Windows 7 for as long as we could. Now we've taken the plunge and 'upgraded' to 10, now our PC's are only usable to keep the doors open (so we don't have to touch communal door handles). One day, in a post Corona Virus world, they may be repurposed as paper weights.
I spent 20 mins waiting for one to boot, gave up, came back over an hour later and logged in. I sat there for another 10mins, gave up again, came back half an hour later, it still hadn't booted, so I waited patiently in front of the screen another 20 minutes - until the end of the day - and then just held the power button until it shut off. It's now unusable.
I think I might take a book in with me next week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:18 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

not 6 wheeler guy wrote:
I know a good few people who would tell you to just have done with it and switch to Linux.

Re-reading the original post I would tend to agree. If it's purely a file server then a NAS would probably be a decent solution, as would a number on Linux options on the same hardware

not 6 wheeler guy wrote:
Where I work, we held on to Windows 7 for as long as we could. Now we've taken the plunge and 'upgraded' to 10, now our PC's are only usable to keep the doors open

More a case of Doors 10 than Windows 10 then :)