UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:44 am

All times are UTC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:54 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:22 am
Posts: 899
Location: Forest of Dean
Car Model: OG 9-3 SE
I'm currently pricing up a new bathroom and our local, independent bathroom showroom has been round, measured up and drawn up a design for us (there was a refundable charge) problem is I can get the bathroom suite, tiles, shower panels etc almost £1000 cheaper online. The showroom only supplies the bathroom they don't fit it as well
I've called him to explain the situation but I can't see him knocking 25% off and is it fair to expect him to?
I really want to buy from the local guy but £1000 is a lot of money to lose on a principle.

_________________
2001 OG 9-3 lpt Hatch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 am
Posts: 4748
Location: suffolk
Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
buyers market cash is king
take the lazy option always costs more for the non thinkers

weird eh me mum took out her bathroom suite to change to disabled type
she chucked the old suite on ebay to get rib and it ended at more than she paid for it new weird eh it wasnt anything special at all so dont get why really

_________________
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:27 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:45 pm
Posts: 4673
Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
Go whatever is better value for money.
From reading what you put you will still need someone to fit it.
Unless you are doing it yourself.
As long as the place online is similar quality.

Like with car parts etc, I like to use the local shop and they are all great lads but if I can get stuff cheaper online and similar quality then will get them online.

_________________
Trivago Girl is hot.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:45 pm 
Offline
UKSaabs Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:54 pm
Posts: 6368
Location: Saabworld - where everything smells of thinners
Car Model: 9-5 - The dark dame
Ask the local guy and explain the difference. At least you've shown the courtesy to give him the chance to try to match it or get close to it.
The thing you have to weigh up is if the online place is contactable in the event of a problem or if you need advice, your local guy definitely is and that personal service is sometimes worth its weight in gold. He clearly knows it's going to happen because he's charging for the personal advice and the measuring up service; a service the online place can't match.

_________________
9-5 - She's a dame but she sure ain't no lady!

saabnoobtune@gmail.com
Now with added Tech2


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:22 am
Posts: 899
Location: Forest of Dean
Car Model: OG 9-3 SE
The online stuff is identical, same make, model etc

_________________
2001 OG 9-3 lpt Hatch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:03 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:12 pm
Posts: 8235
Location: Portsmouth
Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
We had the same, only ours was a £2500 difference, and our online price included some bits theyd missed off their quotation.

Didnt give them the opportunity to lower their price. They didnt deserve the opportunity after being 100% more expensive. The wife also felt like the woman hadnt been designing the bathroom we wanted, rather than the the one she would want. Lots of things we suggested were replied by "oh, you dont want that".

_________________
'75 96 V4 Anniversary Restoration Project
'09 9-3 Turbo-X Wagon No. 38
B204 Haynes Roadster Project


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:48 pm 
Offline
UKSaabs Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:24 am
Posts: 3618
Location: Bristol
Car Model: All
SaabNoob wrote:
Ask the local guy and explain the difference. At least you've shown the courtesy to give him the chance to try to match it or get close to it.
The thing you have to weigh up is if the online place is contactable in the event of a problem or if you need advice, your local guy definitely is and that personal service is sometimes worth its weight in gold. He clearly knows it's going to happen because he's charging for the personal advice and the measuring up service; a service the online place can't match.


Totally agree with the above.

He may not be able to match the price exactly as he will have the overheads that the online outlet won't have, but explain everything to him and give him the chance as he has already put extra work into the eventual sale by offering the design.

_________________
Jamsaab - The UK's Leading Independent Saab Specialist
0117 986 9997


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:30 pm 
Offline
SAAB Sport & Rally Guy
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:13 pm
Posts: 26704
Location: Whitley Bay
Car Model: 96, C900, 9k, 9-3 & 9-5
I put both our bathrooms in, buying the parts on-line. If you use the local guy and there's a problem, it's his problem and you know where he lives (so to speak). If you were to get him to install stuff you bought, he'd probably hike his labour price up because he'd lose the profit on the fittings etc. Much as garages do if you rock up with your own parts.
We had a new boiler about 10 years ago, the prices plumbers quoted was silly, including fitting about 10m of 32mm pipe (that was going to be a grand alone).
Due to damp, I had to put a new floor in the bathroom. When I lifted the rotten one, there was a 32mm gas pipe almost under the site of the boiler. I was more cross with the plumbers for not asking or looking where the gas supply was, just assuming that it would need a new pipe run. They also insisted the flue had to go tjrough the wall, even though we would have to drill through the 2nd couree of bricks from the top...
I ended up doing the wet bit myself and paying a Corgi chap £85 to sign it off.
I'd love to shop local, but our xouncil make it so difficult to park in the town centre, it's not worth the grief.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:41 pm 
Offline
UKS Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:44 pm
Posts: 12598
Location: Bristol
Car Model: '99 9-3 ex-LPT '55 Diesel SW
jamsaab wrote:
SaabNoob wrote:
Ask the local guy and explain the difference. At least you've shown the courtesy to give him the chance to try to match it or get close to it.
The thing you have to weigh up is if the online place is contactable in the event of a problem or if you need advice, your local guy definitely is and that personal service is sometimes worth its weight in gold. He clearly knows it's going to happen because he's charging for the personal advice and the measuring up service; a service the online place can't match.


Totally agree with the above.

He may not be able to match the price exactly as he will have the overheads that the online outlet won't have, but explain everything to him and give him the chance as he has already put extra work into the eventual sale by offering the design.


For a fee...

I'm not sure it has to be an either-or choice, I have used what is as far as I can tell, a one man band in Scotland (called shower doctor) for some shower parts, online. He has given advice (looking at photos of what I have so he can identify the right parts etc), helped with an exchange, was generally really good to buy off and deal with, AND was the cheapest I could find. Just like a local guy, but 300 miles away! I've consequently gone back for more stuff and now wouldn't look anywhere else.

By contrast, those guys down at Nailsea Electric and Gas on Gloucester road have been unhelpful, horrendously expensive, and more focused on selling you a new oven than trying to help you source a new element. I've also had no luck with local heating engineers- one guy charged me loads of money for a pump then was talking about walking away saying he couldn't stop my boiler hitting the overheat trip, but would still try a system flush (for £300,when the chemicals cost about £30 and the job takes about 2 hours) or a new boiler. I then proceeded on my own to spot that the vent to let air our of the system (which is 6" away from the pump he replaced) had been screwed down as it was leaking (was covered in residue), so it just needed a new valve (for £20 - bought online) and bleeding.

Business with premises, or local type small business should still be competitive on a parts only sale. If they are miles out on price, they are applying a greedy mark up (given that they will be getting it cheaper than you can). Not all local businesses are good guys.

_________________
UKSaabs Fantasy Formula 1 Freak
Federation of Master Bodgers Accredited
T5 Tuner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:11 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:22 am
Posts: 899
Location: Forest of Dean
Car Model: OG 9-3 SE
I have spoken to the local place and they had already given a 20% discount on their normal retail price and can only give an extra 2% if I pay everything up front when I place the order instead of their normal 50%.
I have already paid the measuring and design fee.
I would happily pay a bit more for the convenience and peace of mind from buying locally but not to the tune of over £900 unfortunately.

_________________
2001 OG 9-3 lpt Hatch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:34 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:53 pm
Posts: 2007
Location: N W London
Car Model: 9 3 Aero Combi 2.0T 2009
And people wonder why the high street is a desert.
Support your local man - if things go wrong you know where he is.
You're paying for expertise, personal attention, and supporting the local economy.
We support our local shops because we want them to be there when we need them - i.e. 7.00 on a rainy cold evening and no car journey required. We don't care is it is a little more expensive.
Don't forget - it is a fool who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing (Oscar Wilde).

_________________
Nearly there


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:56 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo

Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:47 pm
Posts: 632
Location: Sunny Chester
Car Model: 9-3SW Sportwagon Aero TTiD
The high streets are deserted because of the ludicrous rent and rates the shops are subjected to and the fact they all want to bend you over on price, as per Jules' post they are demanding/making huge profits instead of being happy to earn a decent wage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:59 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo

Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:22 am
Posts: 899
Location: Forest of Dean
Car Model: OG 9-3 SE
saabHOT wrote:
And people wonder why the high street is a desert.
Support your local man - if things go wrong you know where he is.
You're paying for expertise, personal attention, and supporting the local economy.
We support our local shops because we want them to be there when we need them - i.e. 7.00 on a rainy cold evening and no car journey required. We don't care is it is a little more expensive.
Don't forget - it is a fool who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing (Oscar Wilde).


I agree with you, but we're talking nearly £1000 here not a few quid.

_________________
2001 OG 9-3 lpt Hatch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:01 pm 
Offline
Light Pressure Turbo

Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:22 pm
Posts: 376
Location: Lancashire
Car Model: 9-5 Aero
saabHOT wrote:
And people wonder why the high street is a desert.
Support your local man - if things go wrong you know where he is.
You're paying for expertise, personal attention, and supporting the local economy.
We support our local shops because we want them to be there when we need them - i.e. 7.00 on a rainy cold evening and no car journey required. We don't care is it is a little more expensive.
Don't forget - it is a fool who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing (Oscar Wilde).


Not when they are selling an identical product for twice the price. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the sentiment and try to use local independent businesses but for some things they cannot compete.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:17 pm 
Offline
UKSaabs Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 9:53 pm
Posts: 16456
Location: Devon
bigmc wrote:
The high streets are deserted because of the ludicrous rent and rates the shops are subjected to

Probably.

bigmc wrote:
and the fact they all want to bend you over on price, as per Jules' post they are demanding/making huge profits instead of being happy to earn a decent wage.

That doesn't make economic sense. If that is the case they can't all be idiots so the chap in the high street who is shrewd enough to undercut all the greedy ones would be the one to make more sales and therefore make huge profits? I suspect prices are high to cover the ludicrous rent and rates. Perhaps it is the councils and landlords who are the greedy ones.

_________________
www.SAABits.com - helping to keep Saabs on the road
10% Discount for UKS members: enter code UKS2019


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:42 pm 
Offline
Talking Turkey
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:52 am
Posts: 23347
Location: not in a SAAB.
Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Swerving off-topic slightly but a meeting of local councillors and Mayor of Mansfield voted down a proposal to make parking free in the Council run car parks as it "might encourage people from places like Chesterfield and Sheffield to visit the area". That doesnt sound very business friendly to me.

_________________
52 9-5 2.0LPT Vector Sport B235R/GT17562
05 9-5 Aero with all the options.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:47 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:12 pm
Posts: 8235
Location: Portsmouth
Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
9000Parts wrote:
Swerving off-topic slightly but a meeting of local councillors and Mayor of Mansfield voted down a proposal to make parking free in the Council run car parks as it "might encourage people from places like Chesterfield and Sheffield to visit the area". That doesnt sound very business friendly to me.


These are local shops for local people...

_________________
'75 96 V4 Anniversary Restoration Project
'09 9-3 Turbo-X Wagon No. 38
B204 Haynes Roadster Project


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:23 am 
Offline
Talking Turkey
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:52 am
Posts: 23347
Location: not in a SAAB.
Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
beardydave wrote:
9000Parts wrote:
Swerving off-topic slightly but a meeting of local councillors and Mayor of Mansfield voted down a proposal to make parking free in the Council run car parks as it "might encourage people from places like Chesterfield and Sheffield to visit the area". That doesnt sound very business friendly to me.


These are local shops for local people...


Its a fairly major pedestrianised area and has a large number of specialist and department stores. There arent enough locals to supply the trade to keep them alive, they and the town in general need income from elsewhere to survive. The point still stands about parking, make it difficult/costly and everybody will go to the big out of town supermarkets or online instead.

_________________
52 9-5 2.0LPT Vector Sport B235R/GT17562
05 9-5 Aero with all the options.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:04 am 
Offline
UKS Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:44 pm
Posts: 12598
Location: Bristol
Car Model: '99 9-3 ex-LPT '55 Diesel SW
Think that's a reference to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meF7NmfnXZ0 :D

_________________
UKSaabs Fantasy Formula 1 Freak
Federation of Master Bodgers Accredited
T5 Tuner


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Local shop v online
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:41 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:52 pm
Posts: 128
Car Model: 900se
It is very difficult 4 the small shops to exist.Remember what is was like when you were a kid.We had a shop in town bit like Arkwrights he would sell just a slice of ham or what ever.
Now no one like it and we have a sainsburys,adsa,waitrose,lidl,the other one(memory gone lol)nd 2 coops,a small tesco and of course the garages.Plus a couple of other food shops.If you want a charity shop wev'e got um and loads of take aways and hair dressers and 2 tattoo shops.Not for getting if you want your nails done lol


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB