UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Model: Estella. 2008 Manual 9-5 D
I have had a debt on me credit card ever since I bought Hellga in 2010 ish. She nearly broke me. It's taken a long time to delete her debt. She departed years ago. Her debt departs tomorrow ''anyone seen my camel''.

It was seriously high, thousands. I can't remember how many! Maybe four!... It will be PAID OFF TOMORROW. Happy Days! And £200 extra a month to mess about with. :D Even happier days!

Admittedly, it all isn't Hellga's fault. I have used the card since I got rid of her. I still blame her.

Things can only get better!

:park:

Is anything getting better for you ''anyone seen my camel''?

I ain't gonna put that song up. I promise!

Dancing on a Highway Somewhere..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:05 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Ive just written an acceptance email for a new job despite it meaning a cut in pay and a massive fuel bill to get there :wall:

If you are going to be using credit cards Si, you need to learn how to play CC Roulette with them. We had close to £10K on cards 2 years ago but as they were 0% interest we have paid almost nothing over and above the actual debt. We are now below £3K on them, if we had standard cards and paying interest they would be closer to £6K still :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:22 pm 
Luger Lout

Paul, why did you accept a job for less money? I advised you to do a bit of jiggling.

I know that you have to do the best that you can. Fair enough!

I couldn't be bothered will all the balance transfer stuff in the end. I expect that this reluctance has cost me ££££s .

I suspect another property crash is heading our way. I also expect credit to go through the roof. Not bovered about prop stuff.

It would be nice to keep paying out stuff to the absolute minimum! £200 a month off is good!

I have another credit card with 9-5 peanuts on it. Repayments are £25 a month. I have paid this one off a few times. THEN..

Something else 9-5 involved comes along! I only use this one on line. I can't pay it off on line. Dunno how to!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:47 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 convertible Aero MMI
Pleased for you. Always nice to pay off loans/credit cards.
My wife surprised me the other day at how much money she had got back by using the top cash back site.

As Paul said above, if you can be bothered to put the time in, you can save a fortune. Me personally, I cannot be bothered, do not have the time. I do like reading the Martin Lewis web site though occasionally. Great advice on there, for practically anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:20 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 900 96 drop top
I avoid borrowing despite running a small business
If I dont have it I dont buy it
I think there are only 3 good debts

Education
buying a house
A viable business (note I said viable !)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: The Pizza Taxi
Well done.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:21 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1986 C900 2door
Liberation!!!

Congrats Saabotage! I know the feeling. The moneylenders are an alien species that should be carefully avoided. Easy to say when you desperately need money I know. This is what they bank on(no pun intended)of course.

If you're on your knees they charge exorbitant rates.

I remember years ago trying to raise a few thousand for my fledgling business. My girlfriend's father, who was a city broker, told me it was hopeless. "If you want to borrow a couple of million however, no problem my boy!", he seemed to enjoy telling me that.

The best money is your own.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:06 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
good on you mate just keep it up mate

never had a credit card never want one :D my bro has 30k of credit card debt so i think i made the right choice
as above only use my money if dont have it i dont buy it

i dont dream of posh expensive things so im pretty lucky really i think

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:54 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: OG 9-3 SE
I have been in debt in the past & can understand how easily it can happen

It's all very easy to say don't buy what you can't afford but often that's not always possible, for example in the case of unexpected essential household items such as boilers packing up or roof needing replacing, you can't live without hot water or a roof while you save for them.

There's also the inconvenient fact that retailers and manufacturers rely on credit to stay in business, I expect the vast majority of privately owned new cars are bought on finance and probably a fair proportion of home entertainment equipment is the same. Could the retailers & producers of those goods stay in business if every one of their customers saved for years to buy them?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:10 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: XC70 & S60 D5 163s, both
Gaz38 wrote:
I have been in debt in the past & can understand how easily it can happen

It's all very easy to say don't buy what you can't afford but often that's not always possible, for example in the case of unexpected essential household items such as boilers packing up or roof needing replacing, you can't live without hot water or a roof while you save for them.

There's also the inconvenient fact that retailers and manufacturers rely on credit to stay in business, I expect the vast majority of privately owned new cars are bought on finance and probably a fair proportion of home entertainment equipment is the same. Could the retailers & producers of those goods stay in business if every one of their customers saved for years to buy them?

This shocked me when first published a year or two ago:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 65111.html

A friend who taught 6th Formers Finance once asked me what advice I would give to his students v-a-v their personal finances. I told him to tell them all to build up a fund of "flip flop off money" equal to at least 3 months bills as quickly as they could. I do appreciate that it's not as easy as that for everyone, but once we recovered from our young and a bit daft phase, we've always lived by the "if you can't afford it, you don't buy it maxim"

Woah, hold on, Ezzard's back!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:14 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest
We've never had substantial savings for most of our lives.

For many people 3 months bills are 3 months income

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:10 pm 
UKS Addict

One paycheck away from debt/default has to have an impact on your life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:32 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

It does indeed, we're fine now but 15 years ago it wasn't good.

I'm not having a go at anybody but it still bugs me slightly when people assume everybody is as well off (in relative terms) as they are.
When we bought our first house interest rates were circa 15% our mortgage payments were £600 per month with a joint income of about £1000, doesn't leave much scope for savings so when the boiler packed up & the roof needed replacing there was only one option, £15k of debt.
Then cars need replacing, more debts. Get that all sorted & kids come along, income halves due to maternity pay etc etc.

I'm not looking for sympathy but it can easily happen.

We're OK now, small mortgage, savings etc but it wasn't easy getting here

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:56 pm 
UKS Addict

It is difficult to put yourself in others' shoes, you're right.

From family experience I can't understand why one branch feels it is OK to live beyond its means, and consistently so, accepting handouts from others, yet at the same time feeling an entitlement to have all the good stuff.

I remember those 15% rates, too, and not with fondness!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:10 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Yes the sense of entitlement is another issue.

I certainly don't blame anybody else for the position we were in, it was a combination of bad luck (boiler, roof etc) and our own doing.
What we didn't do was expect to have big TVs, designer labels and expensive holidays.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:34 pm 
Luger Lout

DONE!

I did have to pay an extra £3 odd rolling interest since it has been adding up even after they printed the bill.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:37 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 900 96 drop top
Gaz38 wrote:
It does indeed, we're fine now but 15 years ago it wasn't good.

I'm not having a go at anybody but it still bugs me slightly when people assume everybody is as well off (in relative terms) as they are.
When we bought our first house interest rates were circa 15% our mortgage payments were £600 per month with a joint income of about £1000, doesn't leave much scope for savings so when the boiler packed up & the roof needed replacing there was only one option, £15k of debt.
Then cars need replacing, more debts. Get that all sorted & kids come along, income halves due to maternity pay etc etc.

I'm not looking for sympathy but it can easily happen.

We're OK now, small mortgage, savings etc but it wasn't easy getting here

Well thats not the full story ! (sorry mate) I was in the same position as you in those days and what we forget is that our houses were worth around three times our salary !
A person now would need 10 to 12 times his or her salary now . It was worth the sacrifice and the risk in our day . While I am very tight on the spending I can understand a young person now drinking £5 frothy coffees going on holiday and spending the banks money does not care . There is little hope for them at the moment

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:38 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
big telly you ever moved one of these back in the day https://beocentral.com/beovisionavant32rf
BeoVision Avant 32 VCR Product Specifications
Weight 80 kg

if your as well off as me then please accept my sympathies :D
my bros wife gets 1300 quid a day expenses money for this money for that she thinks everyones on loads a dough boy can she drink auzzie bird so loads of spare moneys not always good thing

you just have to lower your expectations and enjoy the smaller priced wins
i just bought a new old amp for a whole tenner its great cheered me up getting such a nice little bargain 600 new now old hat so worth nothing but i love it i have 3 now :D big spender me

i bet you could fill a whole house for free now the stuff folks chuck out some really good stuff goes in the bin shocking really
a mate started collecting scrap metal i lent him the money for a ropey old transit and fuel money to get him going
hes doing good now 5 months on its way better than some min wage carp job and he can fit it around his 2 kids routine hes well happy i lent him a few quid

debt is evil but some folk need it eg house kids wifey etc
if everyone borrowed like me this country would be broke more broke than it is now

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:00 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

scanditurbo wrote:
debt is evil but some folk need it eg house kids wifey etc
if everyone borrowed like me this country would be broke more broke than it is now

That's very true, without credit the whole economy would crash, as I said earlier could car manufacturers and dealers afford to wait for people to save £20k+ for a new car?

Pretty much everything relies on credit, it amuses me when people harp on about the good old days when we were a manufacturing nation, what's the point in manufacturing something that you have to wait several years to sell while your customers save up to buy it? Not a good business model really.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Well done Si, btw! Your thread has sailed off in a different direction, as so often!

Just for clarity, at the root of my surprise/castigation is/are those who live beyond or at their means.

In every sense we're well off now, but for many many years we absolutely weren't. We used to write everything we had and everything we spent on a whiteboard in the days before interweb banking. If we didn't have it, it absolutely didn't get spent, ever. Now we've worked out socks off, had some small ability, ridden some fortune, good and bad, but we've never forgotten those disciplines.
I've been made redundant 4 times, so more than most, I guess, so that cash buffer had been tested several times. We're working to build it up again after my last redundancy, incidentally!