UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
as above, looks like a minefield. Yes, I have looked but looking for a personal recommendation, want to cover clutch, emissions etc. Dealer wants 600 quid for care package, online suggests 40 a month about going rate but don't wanna end up paying for something not worth paper it's written on. Car potentially 62 plate 2.0tdi beetle with 20k miles

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3SW Sportwagon Aero TTiD
I pay £24/month for mine. Just covered 2 turbos on my ttid. Its with MotorEasy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:15 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
A car on 20K really shouldnt need to be worrying about things like the clutch. Put £40 a month into an instant access savings acocunt, in 3 years time that over £1300 which should more than cover anything that breaks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:33 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia N-Z

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Agreed. I bought a warranty for a year when the Saab 3 year warranty expired. Nothing happened. So I reconsidered and decided to fund myself.

The money I have saved over last eight years would have been quite a lot. It has easily covered the cost of a new turbo form Saab at full price as a distress purchase, last month, in Germany.

Also don't forget to add in the hassle of a claim. You don't just get the car repaired and send in the bill. The warranty company want reports, then they argue, etc., etc. And you could be without the car for a while.

In the end I decided it wasn't good value.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:44 pm 
UKS Addict

Great advice guys, much appreciated, and another reason I seek advice as I would genuinely not have thought of that until it was too late. My concern about clutch and emissions is it's a six year old low mileage diesel owned, I presume stereotypically by a lady who lunches and lots of stop start town driving. I'm just a tad paranoid about spending so much on a car

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:10 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3SW Sportwagon Aero TTiD
Mine covered 2 turbos and all the labour including intercooler removal and flush out, full service and collection on a low loader, the final bill was £2300 give or take pence, paid and had same day authorisation from them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:20 pm 
Shotgun

Car Model: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
gbn wrote:
Great advice guys, much appreciated, and another reason I seek advice as I would genuinely not have thought of that until it was too late. My concern about clutch and emissions is it's a six year old low mileage diesel owned, I presume stereotypically by a lady who lunches and lots of stop start town driving. I'm just a tad paranoid about spending so much on a car

Is this from a private sale then? I assume so, as if it was a dealer then even if they don't offer a decent warranty on such a low mileage car, some failures could still be directed back to them on the basis of "fit for purpose"? I.e. if the clutch fails in 10k miles (especially on a car that's covered only 20k), why has it failed, it should last 100k(?), so it must've been sold to you with an inherent issue?

(Sorry to the honest dealers, not suggesting you're all cowboys, but the general massive mark-ups are of course to cover this eventuality amongst other things, isn't it?)

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:48 pm 
UKS Addict

Dealer

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:26 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 83 Saab 99 GL
Hi, A warranty would be unlikely to cover the clutch because it's a driver influenced item, just like brake pads, and how it's driven.

Colin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 pm 
UKS Addict

The warranty I looked at, and in fact was offered did cover clutch which surprised me for the reason above

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:31 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: XC70 & S60 D5 163s, both
I know where there's a decent 2005 Beetle convertible that could be yours for £550 firm. Buy, cough, keep that and forget this warranty nonsense. :lol:

Woah, hold on, Ezzard's back!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:17 am 
UKS Addict

bonefish blues wrote:
I know where there's a decent 2005 Beetle convertible that could be yours for £550 firm. Buy, cough, keep that and forget this warranty nonsense. :lol:

Stop it. It's a huge wrench selling the old motor as it is. I have had to be uncharacteristically realistic. People rely on me getting to where am going as a self employed trainer and consultant, and when I do get there, my current beetle hardly puts forward a wonderful image....its been a hugely faithful servant but if been around cars long enough to know when the light at the end of the tunnel is potentially attached to a train!

Peace, Gbn x