UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:42 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 3.0 V6 TiD Vector Sport
... my 9-5 handles incredibly now!

Had all the suspension and brake work completed by Schoneville Saab in Glasgow last week - after a start/stop experience with a garage in East Kilbride, who left the job half done and weren’t too keen to complete the work. :cen:

Bilstein B8 struts, Eibach springs, Powerflex polybushes throughout including subframe, SAS uprated ARBs (25mm/22mm), Mehle heavy duty drop links, Ultra Racing upper strut brace, new Saab top mounts, new rear hub bushes, Brembo Max discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, HEL braided brake lines, Castrol Performance DOT4 fluid, etc.

As soon as I collected the car I had to head on a trip North to take care of my father who had ended up in hospital.

600 miles later, the transformation has proved a revelation! Incredibly flat through corners, sharper turn in and the braking and pedal feel is far more positive.

The only downside is the noise of the polybushes squeaking and creaking, but a Google on the subject seems that’s the ‘norm’.

Thanks to Graeme at Schoneville Saab for sorting the car out, Nicholas at Neo Brothers, Alex at Part For Saabs and Willie at Perth Saab for the parts and the input of a number of UKS members with their advice and expertise on the right bits ‘n’ pieces to fit.

She’s a keeper! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:24 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: GSXR1000 K2 Aero vert gone
Good to know that after spending probably a good four figure sum you are happy with the result. I never knew that polybushing made the car creak and squeak, well at least it is not a rattle, perhaps it will settle down in time. Hope your Dad is better now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
That suspension set up really does improve the car.......only poly i fitted is rear arm bushes but it does go where you point it.

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 Aero (Hirsch 300)
My 9-5 is fully pollybushed throughout with Powerflex and there is no squeeking or creeking at all. You'll just have to play loud music :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

old cabbie 1945 wrote:
Hope your Dad is better now.

Thank you. Was admitted at midnight after a 60 mile cross country ambulance journey suffering from “Exacerbated COPD”. He basically had problems breathing.

Anyway, 3 days after being discharged from hospital he was driving my mother 18 miles to Huntly to do the week’s shopping. He may be 84, but I can’t wrap him up in cotton wool.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Mike9000Aero wrote:
That suspension set up really does improve the car.......only poly i fitted is rear arm bushes but it does go where you point it.

If I recall, it was your comments about the SAS ARBs that convinced me to incorporate them in the set up. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:49 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

McKenzie wrote:
My 9-5 is fully pollybushed throughout with Powerflex and there is no squeeking or creeking at all. You'll just have to play loud music :mrgreen:

I am confident that they were correctly fitted. Maybe just need a bit of settling in (given the cold). With the stereo playing - as you suggest - you don’t hear them anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:15 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: saab 9-5 aero
Dont worry, as you suspect, its perfectly normally to have all sorts of groans and creaks coming from pollybushes.

Never used any on the 9-5 (although the auto transmission mount is a polly) but had them on my 9000 aero....for a while! In the end I took took them off and replaced with Meyle HD. Car rode much better, didnt crash around on poor surfaces and no more groans! Didnt really notice any difference in handling.

With everything you've had done it must be like driving a different car!?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:17 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5s <sigh> six of 'em
UnknownPleasures wrote:
old cabbie 1945 wrote:
Hope your Dad is better now.

Thank you. Was admitted at midnight after a 60 mile cross country ambulance journey suffering from “Exacerbated COPD”. He basically had problems breathing.

Anyway, 3 days after being discharged from hospital he was driving my mother 18 miles to Huntly to do the week’s shopping. He may be 84, but I can’t wrap him up in cotton wool.

I'm glad to hear that he's both well and won't wear cotton wool. :)

Mum would have been 87 today and much the same. I think it's their generation's attitude. Being a kid during WWII and the aftermath made them tougher than subsequent generations (including mine).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 am 
Active user

Car Model: DE Saab 95 2.3 Aero stg1
Can you not add a little bit of luve or grease to the bushes to ease out the creaks. Maybe a silicone lube or spray that will cling to it to stop them squeaking a little.

I always thought they had a certain lube added to them on application but I might be off here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:32 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

AeroStu wrote:
With everything you've had done it must be like driving a different car!?

It certainly feels like a new car. Gives a lot more confidence in bends and the added reassurance that the brakes are capable of a lot more performance than standard, if needed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:33 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

DeeDub8 wrote:
UnknownPleasures wrote:
old cabbie 1945 wrote:
Mum would have been 87 today and much the same. I think it's their generation's attitude. Being a kid during WWII and the aftermath made them tougher than subsequent generations (including mine).

Thoughts with you. My Mum will turn 80 two weeks today.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:35 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Scottyf wrote:
Can you not add a little bit of luve or grease to the bushes to ease out the creaks. Maybe a silicone lube or spray that will cling to it to stop them squeaking a little.

I always thought they had a certain lube added to them on application but I might be off here.

The bushes come with lubricant, which I'm sure was applied. A search on Google threw up a few forums where guys suggested squirting bushes with a Halford's silicone bike lubricant as a possible solution.